Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Hello from Florida!

I left early Monday morning and headed south, driving through rain most of the way. This weather system was the remnant of a front that had spawned killer tornadoes earlier, but it was pretty much wrung out by the time it arrived at the east coast. I did see some tree limbs down in the Washington DC area, and signs that there had been strong storms, but nothing tornadic along my route.

An Interstate drive in rain meant there wasn't much to see; it was a a fairly boring trip.

One highlight: I was in a service plaza along the New Jersey Turnpike; a pee break. I got to see a takedown by NJ State Police of some tiny-brained individual who decided to try to evade capture. Remember, this is in a service plaza along one of the most heavily trafficked sections of one of the country's most heavily-trafficked, high-speed limited-access roads. There was absolutely no place for this guy to go, but his brain's "FLEE!" circuits triggered, and off he went for a very few seconds of glorious, imaginary freedom. It did not go well for the suspect, who ended up face down in a puddle near the refueling islands. I'll write a longer description later--- it was interesting, if nothing else, and ended with no injuries. Right now, I'm up earlier than my sister and her husband (I'm still on EDT; they're on CDT), and am posting via a neighbor's unsecured wi-fi system (heheheh), and so will move right along for now.)

I drove until fatigue said stop, and then slept for 5 hours in my car in another roadside rest area in South Carolina along with a passel of big-rig long-distance trucks and a handful of other cars. Very early Tuesday morning, I shaved and washed in the men's room (I had my camping hygiene/grooming kit with me, as well as a blanket and a pillow for sleeping in the car, anticipating exactly such a circumstance) and headed southeast once more.

Around noon, my eyes felt heavy again, and I snoozed in a truckstop for an hour, then had lunch and finished the trip to the Pensacola area, 1500 miles from the start.

It's been nice to see my sister and her husband--- it'd been a while--- and after a shower and change of clothing, they treated me to a nice dinner in an oceanside restaurant.

Today's a 'family day," and tomorrow (Thurs) we start the long drive to Amarillo where we'll meet up with the storm chase tour.

More to come...

5 comments:

  1. Hi Fred,

    I like the way that you are living now: exploring new worlds with no fear and in the company of your family.

    I just loved the way you talk about using your neighbor's WiFi. You are a BAD man!!!

    An avid admirer,
    CarlosPC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever my wifi goes down, I use a neighbor's too. You'd think they would know better, but there you go...

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is probably a really naive question Fred, but seeing as Pensacola is just a little smaller than the city I usually live in, I'll ask. Would you or your relatives in P. know a couple named Bill and Brenda. He has a prime mover (tractor truck?) based at Bay Minette in Alabama.
    I know, silly question. If it's a yes, I'll send you a private email and explain why I wanted to know.
    Thanks Fred

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, Fred, next time you're going through DE on 95, stop by our place, y'hear? We live a stone's throw from the toll booth next to MD. 2 acres, 4 geese, free bed, etc.

    Rogers George, IBA and tech writer
    rogersgeorge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fred,
    I have finally caught up with you. I want to say how alarmed I was to find out you were folding your cards and leaving the game. After 30 years, it is time for rest and fun. I have thoroughly enjoyed the many years of your columns, and I will miss your helpful, wonderful advice.I wish you the best of luck in your new undertaking.
    Bob Nolan

    ReplyDelete