Monday, May 19, 2008

an interesting day

Had a few interesting moments today...

Yes, that's a rattlesnake--- a 13-year-old rattlesnake. It crossed my path in Scott's Bluff National Monument. (http://www.nps.gov/scbl/)

Most of the day was considerably less exciting as we moved way northward to the border of South Dakota to position ourselves to follow a developing low pressure trough that should appear here Wednesday night. The scenery was pleasant; I'd passed through this exact same area on my motorcycle a year ago:


Scott's Bluff is quite scenic: "Towering eight hundred feet above the North Platte River, Scotts Bluff has been a natural landmark for many peoples, and it served as the path marker for those on the Oregon, California, Mormon, and Pony Express Trails. Scotts Bluff National Monument preserves 3,000 acres of unusual land formations which rise over the otherwise flat prairieland below."

From the top:











I was walking alone, working off some minor frustrations with our tour leader (more on that, later), when I saw this guy cross my trail:



He slithered into some bushes, and I called to the others, so they could see.

Note the eye, below, peering at me.


Steve, another tour member, who teaches herpetology, knew what to do, albeit in direct violation of about 900 Park Service rules: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryww4ChLtIM

Success!




He carried the snake back to the rest of the group. Here, my sister is counting the rattles.


Thirteen in all.


The snake was later released, unharmed, in exactly the same place as we found it.

Tomorrow, we'll probably do more basic sightseeing, waiting for the weather to develop. Can't rush mother nature!

No comments:

Post a Comment