Monday, August 25, 2008

mail client goes insane



I've been using "Thunderbird" (the open-source Mozilla mail client) for a while now, trying to find a worthy successor to the once-great but now languishing and seriously outdated Eudora.

Thunderbird has been acting strangely of late. Now, it lost its ability to attach photos. I have no clue why. There was no update or obvious external change.

It's been working erratically for several days, but now I can't attach files at all. An in-situ reinstall didn't help.

Next: a clean reinstall.

Open Source software is so much better than commercial, right? Almost no bugs, right? Sigh.

I'm off to strip off all traces of Thunderbird and Firefox on three systems here, and try a clean, add-on-free reinstall of both applications to see if I can clear this up.

Six apps off, three system cleaned up, six apps reinstalled and tested...

There goes my Monday. Grrrr.

9 comments:

  1. What happens when you try to attach photos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got wrong, Fred.
    You're supposed to be offering advice to us helpless users. Not the other way round. :)

    Seriously, there is a bug report here:
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=380372

    With a possible fix included in the extension
    QuoteAndComposeManager (former RealBorders), here:
    http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/realborders-en.html

    Hope this helps. BillK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you "Compact Folders" regularly? I was running in to some really strange Thunderbird behavior before I started doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I threw in the towel on Eudora and Gmail for all my POP accounts. It works might fine on my Ipod Touch too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't had any problems myself and I use it at work and home every day. I send hundreds of photos a week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just moved all of my POP accounts to Gmail. I checked out Gmail awhile ago and didn't like it more than Outlook. Recently, I started checking it out again after buying a computer for my mom and setting her up on Gmail. I like that I can receive messages and send like it is coming from my ISP and the threaded conversations is really useful. It also helps that I can just keep a tab open in Firefox instead of keeping a separate app open.

    I looked at Thunderbird awhile ago and didn't like the interface that much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Outlook here. Works ok.

    When I know of a better client, I will use it.

    I did try Tbird, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What was that song by the Beach Boys that had the line "'fore Daddy takes her Tbird away." LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use Thunderbird on my eeePC to send email, but I've never found a setting in it to keep from removing my email from my ISP when it downloads it.

    Personally I use OUTLOOK on every other PC's.

    ReplyDelete