Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Now THAT's a movie review.

I use my Netflix membership to the max, and mine the darker recesses of their catalog for oddball movies I'd otherwise never have a chance to see.

Because my tastes are all over the map, the Netflix "Suggestions for you" software sometimes---well, often--- offers up movies of uncertain provenance and dubious quality.

One such recent suggestion was a German film called "80 Minutes," apparently an early entry into the now-popular category of "real time" productions, where the events on-screen unfold in the same amount of time they would if you were experiencing the events yourself, in real life.

It's an interesting and challenging film-making technique, so I looked into it further.

I read some reviews from other viewers, and found this gem:

====

I would rather have a broken glass enema than to be forced to watch this piece of garbage again. My grandfather's funeral video was more entertaining than this uninspired waste of time. After sitting through nearly 90 minutes of this foolishness -- all the while wishing for something intelligent to watch (like Jerry Springer) -- I finally got to the less-than-pulse-pounding conclusion, where the art school director thought it might be poignant to really "Shake Things Up" by stealing the ending from Michael Douglas's THE GAME. Please be warned: if ever you have the opportunity to watch 80 MINUTES, pray for a severe case of Conjunctivitis.


=====

It's a little hard to figure out, but I'm guessing he didn't like the movie....

2 comments:

  1. he had me at broken glass....
    ouch

    So when was the last time you watched Gladiator? I only watch it every year or two. A great love story and display of integrity.

    In fact, here's this:
    http://360bank.blogspot.com/2008/11/gladiator-quotes.html

    Have you seen Hero?
    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0299977/

    or
    Curse of the Golden Flower

    Amazing. Breathtaking. Fun

    ReplyDelete