Thursday, April 23, 2009

Real-Life Bumper Cars

Sorry for the break in postings here. I was in the hospital briefly and unexpectedly.

I apparently had medical problem of some kind while driving earlier in the week and (I am told) ran into a building(!) at what must have been a reasonably low speed. I recall my eyes feeling very strange for a few seconds, but have have no further recollection of the event. I awoke in the ER, with doctors working on me and a cop watching over me, telling me I'd been "combative" when they arrived to collect me. Holy shite. I am about the least physically aggressive person I know, so I can't imagine what was going on to make me combative.

The initial tests showed no obvious cause for me to decide that rolling into a building was a good idea, so there's more medical detective work to do over the next few weeks.

They sent me home in scrubs because they'd cut my clothes off after the accident, trying to find out if I'd had a heart attack (nope) or was externally injured (negative, except for minor dings here and there). So, at long last, with scrubs, I can begin to fit in to contemporary urban youth culture. Next, I'll stop wearing a belt so my pants will hang low. Chains! Maybe I can wear chains! (I may need a chest-hair transplant, though.)

The cops say my car was "significantly damaged," but I don't know what that means yet. I'll see it later today--- along with the no-doubt moldering groceries that were in the car at the time of the accident. (I was on the way home from food shopping.) Sigh.

Bottom line: I'm OK. There'll be more tests in the coming weeks and we'll try to figure out what did happen and if a repeat is likely. But for the nonce, all is well, and once I get things organized here again, I'll resume posting to the blog.

I apologize for the brief break.

25 comments:

  1. Yikes! Sending warm thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fred, to make you feel better:

    http://abcnews.go.com/WN/story?id=7391205&page=1

    That should make you feel all better.

    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fred, I hope all works out OK for you. I can only imagine how scary you adventure must have been. My thoughts and prayers for a fast recovery.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my, how scary is that! I'm sure I speak for all your fans when I say you're in my thoughts. I hope that they find out what happened very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. take care, hope all is well. i'm glad you weren't on your bike.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Fred,

    I am sorry to hear about your health problems. I hope you feel better soon and keep us informed of your health status.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you feel good soon.

    P.S. What the heck did you use in your beermaking? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, that story was scary. I hope everything turns out to be OK. I also hope that they find the cause of your episode, and that it is something that can easily be fixed. Good luck and be well!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope it was a one time thing, and it never happens again. Have fun with all those upcoming medical tests.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can only add my warm sentiments to those already posted. I hope the medical tests find the culprit (low blood sugar?)
    Great find Ed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. And, of course, let me add a big thank you for taking the time and making the effort to let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Fred,
    I hope you are doing well
    I'v been a long time follower of you site
    Get well soon
    I'll keep you in my prayers

    jim f

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Fred,
    Please get well. ...and stay well. And please keep us posted. Thank you so much for, well - for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fred!!! Good grief, that the scariest thing you've ever written. It sounds like you had a minor stroke and that's definitely an oxymoron. I'm amazed they let you out of the hospital.

    Of course you have been making bread and beer so it could be an allergic reaction to something you made. Or didn't make with clean utensils. [g]

    Please take care of yourself.

    Ed
    PS Make sure you check out the ABCNews link above.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fred,

    No apology is needed. Life happens to us all. To keep this simple, I just quote the sentiments of Vikki above . . .

    Ernie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck Fred. Hope you'll recover soon and for good.

    Franco

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fred,

    I too am a long time reader and wish you a speedy discovery of the problem. Having worked in health care for over 20 years and having experienced low blood sugar myself, that was my first thought. A minor stroke also occurred to me, but then I read that you ended up in the E.R. If that hospital failed to identify either of these problems, I would strongly suggest you find another health care provider. A couple of simple, albeit expensive tests should have detected either malady. Sorry for the rant, but I've been reading you ever since the Langalist days. Medical mysteries are not always so easy to solve, contrary to what TV would have you believe. So here's my prayer: stay healthy and keep writing, Fred.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  19. Best wishes for a speedy, and positive, resolution. Take the time you need and we'll see you when you get back.
    Remco

    ReplyDelete
  20. My sentiments exactly, Remco.
    Good luck, Fred.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Like the others so far, just writing to wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fred,

    Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fred,

    Sorry to hear about your problem. Would be interested in the final diagnosis, as I had a similar problem.

    In November 2007, while staying in a motor home at the NASCAR races, those with me were unable to awaken me, stated that I was very combative with them and EMS. I was in the hospital for 4 days, and had numerous tests in the following months. They also ruled out heart attack, stroke, low blood sugar, etc.

    I have not had a problem since, but it is very scary.

    Hope for the best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I sincerely wish that the whole episode is reduced to some corrugated metal...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm an OLD tired/retired nurse . . .

    I'm thinking TIA.

    What is a TIA or transient ischemic attack?

    A TIA is a "warning stroke" or "mini-stroke" that produces stroke-like symptoms but no lasting damage. Recognizing and treating TIAs can reduce your risk of a major stroke.

    ReplyDelete