Thursday, November 5, 2009

Is there a 'correct' clean-install sequence?

It's Thursday, so there's a new "LangaList Plus" column posted at WindowsSecrets.Com.

A reader with the nom de Web of "PTL" is rebuilding his OS and wants to know the best way to proceed:
"Is there a proper sequence for installing applications in a clean install? Obviously, the OS needs to be installed first, but what about after that? I asked several techie friends this question, and every one has a different answer. Any suggestions?"
While, there's no one, true way to set things up, I do believe there's solid justification for my tried-and-true method of building a stable, secure installation of any version of Windows. In fact, a step-by-step walk-through is the lead item in my WindowsSecrets column this week.

Also in this column:
  • 'Server error' more common with NOD32? (Hugo Galindo reveals something interesting about the IRPStackSize error I wrote about in my Oct. 22 column.)

  • Are external drives OK for primary backups? (They're cheap and convenient, but are they reliable?)

  • More ways to capture 'uncopyable' text. (Expanding on the item in my Oct. 22 column, "Capture text in dialog boxes and folder windows," several readers wrote in with additional ways to capture file paths and print directory (folder) window contents.)
  • Access to the above content is almost free: You pay only what you think the WindowsSecrets newsletter is worth (there's no set fee--- you decide); whatever you pay that once gets you access to all the paid content, including my columns, for an entire year.

    Want to have a question answered in that column? Use the "contact" info at the end of the column to send in questions you might like me to try answering. And you can also rate the content to let me know how I'm doing.

    More info: https://windowssecrets.com/

    Thanks for your support!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment