Thursday, January 21, 2010

The care and feeding of laptop batteries

Many articles talk about extending the run-times of your laptop's battery, but that's not what this is about. Rather, I'm talking about extending the overall life of your batteries. Common battery-care mistakes will reduce your batteries' service life and lead to needless and costly early replacement.

-------------

Extend the life of your laptop's battery

A reader named Rick got a new laptop for the holidays and is wondering how to maximize the life of its expensive batteries:

  • "I just got a new laptop with Windows 7 for Christmas. The new laptop has a 6-cell lithium-ion battery. How can I get the most life from my new laptop's battery and make it last the longest?

    "Should I periodically charge and then use/drain the battery? Should I leave the battery in the laptop even when I'm using the AC plug? Will heat from the laptop when it's plugged into AC affect the lithium battery?"

-------------

That's the subject of the lead item in my column this week at Windows Secrets. I also discuss four other topics:

  • What causes the 'event ID 51' disk errors?
  • Should I use Safe Mode for routine maintenance?
  • Does a ReadyBoost flash drive really boost?
  • What's this about Windows 7's 'God Mode'?
Access to these items is by a kind of honor-system principle: You decide what the content is worth, and whatever you decide to pay lets you in to *all* the paid-edition content (not just my columns) for a full year.

Full info (you start by signing up for the spam-proof free version) here:
http://windowssecrets.com/

Here's what in the rest of the issue (I'm just one of several contributors):

Free Newsletter content posted on Jan. 21, 2010:

You get all of the following with a paid subscription:


Again you decide what the content is worth, and whatever you decide to pay lets you in to *all* the paid-edition content (not just my columns) for a full year.

Full info (you start by signing up for the spam-proof free version) here:
http://windowssecrets.com/

Posted via email from Fred's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment