Magnitude 6.8 - OFFSHORE BIO-BIO, CHILE
2011 February 11 20:05:31 UTC
- This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude 6.8 Date-Time
- Friday, February 11, 2011 at 20:05:31 UTC
- Friday, February 11, 2011 at 05:05:31 PM at epicenter
- Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Location 36.479°S, 73.000°W Depth 28 km (17.4 miles) set by location program Region OFFSHORE BIO-BIO, CHILE Distances 45 km (30 miles) N of Concepcion, Bio-Bio, Chile
80 km (50 miles) SW of Cauquenes, Maule, Chile
85 km (55 miles) WNW of Chillan, Bio-Bio, Chile
395 km (245 miles) SSW of SANTIAGO, Region Metropolitana, Chile
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 15 km (9.3 miles); depth fixed by location program Parameters NST=312, Nph=312, Dmin=518.7 km, Rmss=1.48 sec, Gp= 50°,
M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=8
- USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID usb0001cku
- Did you feel it? Report shaking and damage at your location. You can also view a map displaying accumulated data from your report and others.
Scientific & Technical Information
The earthquake locations and magnitudes cited in NOAA tsunami statements and bulletins are preliminary and are superseded by USGS locations and magnitudes computed using more extensive data sets.
NOAA Tsunami Bulletins for this Earthquake
General Tsunami Information
- Preliminary Earthquake Report
- U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center:
World Data Center for Seismology, Denver
- Tech journalist since the dark ages. Windows Secrets, LangaList newsletter, Windows Magazine (NetGuide, Home PC), Byte, Popular Computing, yadda yadda yadda. Google me, if it matters.
This feed is mostly personal interest; it's NOT my professional writing. There's tech here, yes, but also lots of general science and some politics and weird humor thrown in.