Thursday, May 12, 2011

Free: Build a complete Windows 7 safety net

Every copy of Windows 7 includes a complete suite of backup tools. The suite contains everything you need to back up (and restore) your entire system.

What’s more, after you’ve set up your initial backup, future backups happen automatically.

In fact, Windows 7 makes it so easy to set up fully automated backups, it’s almost nuts not to do it.

But (you knew there had to be one) Windows 7′s backup tools are based on a different philosophy than previous versions of Windows and so do not operate exactly as you might expect. Until you understand what Microsoft is trying to do, the differences can be confusing.

Today's free Windows Secrets Top Story walks you through setting up a complete initial Win7 user-data backup, system image, and recovery disc. When you're done, the Backup Scheduler will take over and safeguards your user data through automatic backups on whatever schedule you authorized. You'll be automatically protected from here on out!

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/build-a-complete-windows-7-safety-net/

Other topics in my column:

  • Win7 network stuck in 'Public' mode
  • The "Make all future networks public" debacle
  • Wanted! Your top personal-privacy tips
  • Laptop laptop audio audio echo echo
  • What is this pesky "Installiqupdater?"
  • Secunia PSI tags Google Chrome as a threat

Complete issue contents: http://WindowsSecrets.com/comp/110512

Free content posted on May 12, 2011:

 
Paid content:

W20110505-kid

A portion of your support helps children in developing countries
Each month, we send a full year of sponsorship to a different child. Your contributions in May are helping us to sponsor Bhea, a six-year-old girl from the Philippines. Children International channels development aid from donors to Bhea and her community. We also sponsor kids through Save the Children. More info

Posted via email from Fred's posterous

1 comment:

  1. Dear Fred,
    I have been a fan since paper magazine days.
    While truly browsing, (started with the Elgan article re:browsers targeting searches, then to evercookies, then to your big motorcycle trip) I came across your "retirement" letter where you wrote, "Sad to say, your PC will always run slower than you want it to."
    That one line stopped me in my tracks.
    My head was saying, NO NO NO!
    Since I am always complaining that I was born too early, (I am closer to 60 than I want to be), that all the good stuff will come out after I am gone, that statement kinda burst my bubble!

    So with all due respect, I am going back to my utopian belief that someday, all I will have to do is THINK it, and it will be done! (But I won't be here to do it. LOL)

    ReplyDelete