About Me

My photo

Tech journalist since the dark ages. Windows Secrets, LangaList newsletter, Windows Magazine (NetGuide, Home PC), Byte, Popular Computing, yadda yadda yadda. Google me, if it matters.

This feed is mostly personal interest; it's NOT my professional writing. There's tech here, yes, but also lots of general science and some politics and weird humor thrown in.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Holy …! My Win7 backup folders are empty!

Reader Jean-Pierre was understandably concerned:
    "Hi Fred, I have done a complete image backup as you explained [in the May 12 Top Story, 'Build a complete Windows 7 safety net']. However, when I went to where the image was saved and clicked Properties, it showed the size was 0 bytes. Is it right? Or did I do something wrong?"

It's alarming, but also normal; your Windows backups are there — just hidden. Here's how to see them.
That's the lead item in my new weekly column for the Windows Secrets newsletter.

The complete issue:


Free content posted on June 02, 2011:


 
Paid content:



W20110602-kid
A portion of your support helps children in developing countries
Each month, we send a full year of sponsorship to a different child. Your contributions in June are helping us to sponsor Jorge Omar, a ten-year-old boy from Mexico. Children International channels development aid from donors to Jorge Omar and his community. We also sponsor kids through Save the Children. More info