About Me

My photo

Tech journalist since the dark ages. Windows Secrets, LangaList newsletter, Windows Magazine (NetGuide, Home PC), Byte, Popular Computing, yadda yadda yadda. Google me, if it matters.

This feed is mostly personal interest; it's NOT my professional writing. There's tech here, yes, but also lots of general science and some politics and weird humor thrown in.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Humbling graphic

Media_httpjackadamnet_baapm

The blue dot is diameter of the humanity's most far-reaching broadcast; a tiny bubble expanding at lightspeed. Anyone/thing outside that dot can't yet know we exist... even if they're listening to exactly the right place and frequency; or even if they care at all.

And that's just one galaxy among countless billions.

A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
-- S. Crane