About Me

My photo

Tech journalist since the dark ages. Windows Secrets, LangaList newsletter, Windows Magazine (NetGuide, Home PC), Byte, Popular Computing, yadda yadda yadda. Google me, if it matters.

This feed is mostly personal interest; it's NOT my professional writing. There's tech here, yes, but also lots of general science and some politics and weird humor thrown in.

Monday, August 27, 2012

Exploring Boston: A 3-fer Saturday

What a Saturday! I returned with almost 600 photos, so it's taking a while to sort, cull, and process them all.

First, I attended a tour of the Massachusetts Historical Society --- the oldest Historical Society in the US. Among other treasures there, I got to see the personal, working copies of the Declaration of Independence that Jefferson and Adams hand-wrote for their own use. (Jefferson's handwriting was neat; not so, Adams'. :) ) The documents --- faded, in dim-lit displays --- were hard to photograph, so you'll have to wait a few days to see those pix.

But next, I headed to East Boston to visit the funkiest sculpture exhibit I've ever seen --- various works of art scattered throughout a working, industrial shipyard. Here's a small, low-res pic of one:

Gafdbgfi

Finally, I (and 40,000 others!) attended the Red Bull International Cliff Diving competition; which used a 95' (28m) platform built off the cantilevered roof of the Institute of Contemporary Art to allow the divers to plummet into Boston Harbor.

I got some good pix there, including this multiple exposure:

Ahijahaf

What a day that was!

In addition to having a mass of photos to wade through, it's also busy week both for work and for quasi-work: the Chairman of the Friends of the Boston Harbor Islands saw my posts on the Harbor Islands, including my recent trip to Boston Light ( http://fredlanga.blogspot.com/2012/08/exploring-boston-uss-constitution-free.html ), and asked me to do a little piece for their next newsletter. They're an all-volunteer group, and they do good work; how could I refuse?

Stay tuned: lots of pix are on the way!