Monday, October 22, 2012

Exploring Boston: My Failed Social Experiment

Like all large cities in the US, Boston has its share of homeless.

The problem has deep roots, but grew to crisis proportions in the Reagan years, when the GOP halved the budget for public housing and housing subsidization programs, and accelerated the deinstitutionalization of mental-health patients. Although Reagan signed the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act late in his Presidency, it was a band-aid on a major wound.

Anyway, Boston has its share of homeless, especially during the warm months. They tend to congregate in the tourist and entertainment areas.

Some are obvious scammers. One approached me and said, "I was just released from the hospital and need bus fare home to New Hampshire." I asked which hospital, as I was on the Harborwalk, far from any medical center. No reply. OK, what part of New Hampshire, I asked --- as I'm still a legal resident there and know the State well. The beggar turned and walked away.

But many of the beggars are truly lost souls --- drunk, or obviously mentally unstable, or suffering from various physical maladies. Those really bothered me because I didn't know how best to respond when they asked for money.

Would giving them a buck or two really help, or just perpetuate the problem? But how would *not* giving money do any good?

I came up with a plan.

First, I did some research into the problem of homelessness in Boston, and made a non-trivial donation to the United Way of Massachusetts Bay --- the umbrella organization that seemed to offer the best conduit for actually delivering a broad range of benefits to the needy.

I also collected information on many other private, City, and State organizations and offices intended to deliver free services to the needy --- "free" in that they're paid for by tax dollars and private donations of the sort I'd just made.

Then I had a box of business cards printed, thus:




The idea, of course, was to help those in need find the help that actually is available --- free emergency help, free medical help, free food, free shelter, etc.

I then tried handing out the cards, giving one to any beggar who asked for money.

What a joke.

I've given away maybe 100 card so far, and one --- one --- recipient actually appreciated the information. He looked surprised that free help was available. I assured him it was no scam, that the help was real, and that I wasn't asking him for anything in return. It looked like it made his day.

As for all the rest, most tossed the card, refused it, or mocked me for giving it to them.

"I don't need help, I need a dollar!" one indignant female beggar told me.

"You offering me a job?" slurred a morning drunk. No, I said, but there's free food and a safe place to sleep, if you need it. "Fuck you," he said.

And so on.

As the summer went on, I began to recognize some of the homeless people; they'd stake out a certain corner or stretch of sidewalk, and work the crowd every day. Begging is their job. It's their chosen way of living.

I still try to give out the cards when I'm approached by a beggar I haven't seen before. But I doubt it will do much good. I consider this a failed experiment.

I'll donate regularly to the United Way and hope that it does some good, but it seems that there ought to be a better way.

Damned if I know what, though.

18 comments:

  1. Fred,

    I'm sorry that this didn't work for you. However, I can't say that I'm surprised. I too struggle with the decision to give or not to give. Is it helping or enabling? And so, sometimes I give, but mostly I don't. It depends on how the Holy Spirit touches me at that moment in time.

    I imagine that most, if not all of these people already know about the services available, but choose not to use them.

    I've come to the conclusion that the only way to help any of these people is to get to know them. Talk to them about whatever. Become their friend. Give them some money or not. You may quickly learn if this is their choice or not. Or if they even want any help. Like you said, some people choose this lifestyle.

    As with every social problem, this has no easy solution.

    And don't forget, there is one thing you can always do, and that is continue to pray for these souls which you obvoiusly care about.

    Peace,
    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The card was a good idea. I usually say no when approached by someone who is begging to get money for the next drink or fix. But on a number of occasions, when I've recognized that someone is over their head or in trouble, I've approached them and given them money and said that their next meal or cup of coffee is on me. I can empathize--I've had a couple of tough stretches in my own life and gotten through with the help of friends and 'borrowed' money. When I can give back--and when it'll do some good--I do. Otherwise, no.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a failed experiment at all-- a noble one, I'd say. The business cards are a brilliant idea. You materially helped one person who needed it, and you have helped all of us define the problem: the great majority of "homeless" do not want or need help, or cannot accept it, perhaps b/c they are mentally ill. The whole movement to "de-institutionalize" mentally ill people was so misbegotten; some people *need* to be institutionalized. I hope we can find a humane, productive, and positive way to make that happen for the souls who need it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious to know if you stopped by any of the places that offer the food and shelter. On one hand, it might be encouraging to see how many folks patronize them, and it might be eye-opening to see what the services are like. I've occasionally thought about stopping at a soup kitchen to try the cuisine, but haven't yet. (I have done some volunteer work in a couple places, but that's the other side of the counter, as it were.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rogers: EXCELLENT idea. The people who work *and* volunteer at the homeless shelters would know better than anyone else how to help these people and who they are and what help they might accept.

    In fact, perhaps the best way to help would be to volunteer at a shelter or food-bank.

    Randy -- whydidntithinkofthat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Randy--

    "...continue to pray for these souls which you obvoiusly care about."

    Randy, I don't think you realize that fred is an athiest!

    "Pray" is a 4-letter word to him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To my knowledge, there has only been one truly broad-based, scientific test of the power of praying for others:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pray.html
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12082681/ns/health-heart_health/t/power-prayer-flunks-unusual-test/

    The praying had no measurable effect on those prayed for.

    That's not to say that praying (meditation, etc.) might not benefit those who pray. But there's nothing mystical about those effects. It's just biofeedback, and that's a true positive for the person doing the meditation/prayer/biofeedback. There can be placebo effects, too.

    Praying *for others* might make you feel like you're doing good, but the effects all stay within your own skull, alas. Prayer has no measurable effect on others.

    I wish it weren't so, but wishing --- or praying --- doesn't make it so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I realize that. I also believe Fred does it, even if he doesn't realize it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fred, I should have known that you'd post a link to a study! :-) (I'm sorry, but I don't have time to read it now. I hope to later.)

    Part of the power of prayer is to kick the person who prays in the pants and entice that person to act.

    But it never hurts to just pray.

    Peace,
    Randy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred doesnt beleive in God, Randy.
      He beleives in Fred.

      Delete
  10. Why should they take a card when they can have more Obama money?

    Let's watch the cards fly out the window once Mitt is in ofice!

    Oh the joy! Two weeks til sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. On so many levels, this is one of the most moronic posts I have ever read.

    Let's break it down -- Reagan (who was in office 30 years ago!!!!!!!!) is responsible for the homesless in Boston!!!! What a joke.

    Fred....do you realize this is 2012? Or are you still living in your basement thinking it's 1982?

    But the absolutely "BEST" part of this post is the complete delusion in which rich Fred lives. Like most crazy far lefties, he's way too cheap to silently take a buck out of his pocket to help a homeless dude or dudette. No, instead, he occupies his time trying to prove he's somehow better than everyone else by printing up useless cards to give to someone who's hungry.

    Fred.....in between trying to impress all your other enlightend 80's stuck Reagan hating liberal friends who dont really give two craps for the underclass except for their lip service during haughty cocktail parties, have you ever ever ever thought for a second that the homeless don't have phones or internet connections like super rich you?

    Your dopey card isnt accepted because it's completely useless. Do you expect a homeless person to pull out his smart phone like you and call a shelter? Do you think he's going to whip out the iPad with 4G or connect to his own hot spot to look up the web address your useless card provides?

    Fred, you are truly one delusional dude. Wake up and give the guy a buck. You got rich not by hard work, but by writing. Redistribute some of it. You can afford it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous,

    Fred *did* redistribute some of his wealth.

    And there are no URLs on his card.

    Sigh,
    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mr/Ms Anonymous does not read well, as evidenced in posts elsewhere in this blog. S/He reads what s/he thinks I'm trying to say, instead of the words actually on the page.

    My issue was not to help or not, but how best to help, so that the money would actually do good.

    (And I do carry a phone; I offered to let the one guy who happily accepted the card to use it. He said no; I assumed he wanted privacy, which I respected. And there are still public phones in the tourist and entertainment areas where the beggars typically frequent.)

    No matter: these angry, anonymous screeds are pointless. It's someone voluntarily choosing to read a blog they dislike (go figure...) and then writing "I so fervently stand behind my beliefs that I won't sign my real name."

    Whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pry a buck out of that dusty wallet of yours and give it to the homeless.

      They dont have phones or internet connections, and you degrade them further by flagrantly displaying your phone. No wonder he didnt want to make a call -- talk about rubbing salt in wounds. Do you kick horses too when they're down? Maybe you taunt them with a new set of horse shoes.

      I read your post, even if you seek to minimize my comment which is perfectly valid. Your card is ridiculous and of no help. A clear thinking man would know that handing a card to someone who has no phone or internet does the LEAST good. You don't need to create a science project to figure that one out.

      Are these people sport to you?

      Worried that your dusty buck will go to cigarettes, drugs or liquor? There'a a McDonald's on every block. The one on Tremont has an army of homeless people hanging around outside. Offer to buy them some food from the dollar menu. That's how to help. They aren't going to eat your card for heaven's sake.

      And what's the dillio with your anger against the Annonymous tag? Would it be better if I said my name is Brad? How do we know you're Fred? It's silly to try to denigrate my comment for something like that. Annonymous is really just as good as Brad. Names don't matter. Actions do.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and one more thing about your science project -- how many homes less so you think know how to read?

      Or if they do know how to read, how many have such clear vision as to see the mouse print you used to provide numbers for a phone they dont own, or a quarter they dont have to use a "pay" phone?

      Geeze Louise.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete