Monday, April 15, 2013

explosions at #bostonmarathon

Two gunpowder bombs, probably in streetside trash cans half a block
apart, exploded near the finish line of the Boston marathon today, on
the north side of Boylston Street, at the Pru/Copley Square. They
exploded abour 30 seconds apart.

I was about 200 feet (60m) from the second blast.

The first blast seemed larger, but that might be an artifact of crowd
placement and other variables.

When the first blast went off, most people looked up; there was no
initial panic where I was; no one knew what was happening. The second
blast caused a stampede.

I saw several injured. The wounds I saw were to the legs and lower
bodies of the people nearest the trash cans. Pants legs were shredded
and smoldering, bloody skin beneath. People were concussed and shaken.
Several were on the ground, but conscious.

None of the injuries I saw appeared life threatening, thank god. TV
reports are saying some people lost limbs, but I didn't see anything
remotely that severe.

TV is also reporting the blasts were inside a building. That's also not
what I saw.

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment