About Me

My photo

Tech journalist since the dark ages. Windows Secrets, LangaList newsletter, Windows Magazine (NetGuide, Home PC), Byte, Popular Computing, yadda yadda yadda. Google me, if it matters.

This feed is mostly personal interest; it's NOT my professional writing. There's tech here, yes, but also lots of general science and some politics and weird humor thrown in.

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Closing out the bike-riding season

Yesterday (2016-12-10) was the first day of this winter where Boston stayed below freezing for the entire 24 hours.

But the roads were dry, so I thought it might be fun to try a bike ride.

I bundled up and did a 19mi/31km loop along the Mystic, Alewife, and Malden Rivers.

When I left, it was 23F/-5C, with strong west winds. The stationary windchill (“feels like”) temp was 11F/-12C; adding in the forward motion of the bike against the wind yielded equivalent temps of around -2F/-19C.

In short, frickin’ cold.

But I bundled in layers (my torso looking like like the Michelin Man), and generated my own heat by pedaling, so it actually was interesting, and not unpleasant.

I only saw four other bike riders out and about --- all in Cambridge and Somerville, and all half my age or less.  Take that, youth culture!  :)

That may have been the last ride for the year. The first significant snowfall of the winter is predicted for tomorrow (2016-12-12); with ice and snow arriving.

If it's too slippery to ride from here on out, I’ll close out the year with 1600mi/2600km covered. (I didn’t get my bike until late Spring this year, and so missed a lot of potential riding weather early in the year.)

I’ll aim for 2000+mi/3200+km next year, which should be doable.


Onward!  :)