Tuesday, December 9, 2008

amazing bridge

I've always enjoyed the architecture of bridges. Not so much the brute strength of pier-and-beam construction--- that's just a dead tree across a gully done with better materials.

But robust trusses, vast arches, gossamer suspensions, inventive curves and angles, unusual materials... bridges are often as strangely beautiful as they are functional.

Moving bridges--- draws, lifts, turntables--- are a special class. They're rarely delicate, but are often built with a precision that's amazing for structures so large and heavy; especially if you can watch the mating surfaces come together: Megatons of steel positioned with the gentleness of a nun putting down a teacup.

Then there's this small bridge. It's delicate, almost sculptural, and comes closer to moving like a living object than any other bridge I've seen:
http://www.odditycentral.com/videos/heatherwick-rolling-bridge.html

4 comments:

  1. That is beyond amazing, but I can't find a word that fills that bill. Where do you find all these great sites? Spend all day surfing the web?

    ReplyDelete
  2. >>>Spend all day surfing the web?

    Harumph. I have a job, you know. Sniff.

    I write a computer column and some other stuff, and that requires me to be at my PC most days, doing research on a variety of topics.

    Some days I'm hard at it all day, surfing the web.

    Oh, wait a minute....

    Never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful ... but read the sad comment on the bridge website.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw sigh, *people!* In a comment on October 17 Barbara states: "the rolling bridge has been damaged by vandals and therefore removed.
    Too bad I went this morning to take a look at it and there’s nothing left"

    ReplyDelete