Monday, August 11, 2008

"Dear Fred, my brother bought a Mac...."

My brother screwed up and bought a Mac Mini on eBay. We were playing with it yesterday trying to get it connected to a D-Link DIR-625 Router/WAP. I've tried Googling some of this with no luck.... How do you determine if it has a wireless card? We also tried the ethernet connection with no luck. Went through the network wizard or whatever they call it. Any help? please....... Even just a website that describes the process. Most I found were worthless, just stepping through the crap on the Mac with no insight to what's happening....

Oh, dear.

Most Apple products are meant to be black boxes. You don't worry about what's inside, just revel in the insane coolness and total perfection of its whole.

If something's not working, it's that you don't believe strongly enough. Things that look like flaws to you and me are just benefits that are so far ahead of the curve that we simply don't understand them. You're not trying hard enough to see the transcendent nature of Apple products.

In short, you're the problem, PC-boy.

There's a fix: Apple hardware can't change--- Apple totally controls what goes in Apple hardware--- so you have to change. Come on; it's not hard:

That hardware you're complaining about is a piece of greatness. Imagine: Steve Jobs himself approved the design. He may even have handled a prototype. It's almost as if you can touch a piece of Steve himself!

OK, maybe Steve himself wasn't involved, but you can be sure that it was someone very, very close to him.

Think about it: This puts you close to Greatness!

So you see, asking questions, as you do, about fixing broken Apple hardware merely reveals how unworthy you are. You don't "fix" it when Apple hardware "breaks." The very words are meaningless in the Apple universe.

If you cannot deeply sense this simple Truth, then you are not worthy of using one.

You have much to learn about the Apple way, Grasshopper.

Glad to have been of help,

Fred


(PS: I know how you feel.)

10 comments:

  1. I realize you are being satirical and that you are not supposed to give computer advice (yet?), but your friend should go to the Apple forums.
    Like:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7103809

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! Assuming that's a real router, and a real question, the System Profiler has the information. It can be reached from the apple menu (leftmost icon in the menu bar -- top, looks like an apple) 'About This Mac,' 'More Info...,' 'Network,' and then 'Airport Card.' Or, alternatively, Applications, Utilities, System Profiler.app. A whole lot faster, and easier to reach, than any [start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Information] or alternative "shortcuts" I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again proving the mac people are stultifying. In some ways, the first two comments are even funnier than the blog... and in at least one way, they are a bit scary as a commentary on mac people. What planet ARE they from?

    Thanks to Daisy for her comment.

    Thanks to Fred for providing a very funny column that is an accurate portrayal of so many mac people-fanatics as it were.

    Had a friend who quit supplying Apple with components even thought it was quite profitable-because it was just toooo weird to go meet with Apple. That was back in the early 90s. I doubt that sanity has snuck back in Apple's door.

    .

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO! Creees has it right. Not to pick on anyone, but some of these comments are classic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have an Apple computer and I have never used one. I don't think I know anyone who uses a Mac.

    I use Windows and Linux myself, but when anybody asks me what computer they should buy, I always recommend an Apple for beginners. They just work (mostly), and users don't have to worry about viruses or spyware.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "...don't have to worry about viruses...."

    Since when are Apples immune? They are targets just like PCs.

    But then you know that, you're just pulling my chain-again.

    And I bit once again. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, this has been an interesting 2-minute experience. Having switched from XP to Mac in the last month, this is the first time I've suffered this humour from the Mac side. And I find it sad. In fact, although it's not as serious, the comments here supporting Fred's sarcasm (err, humour) remind me of the defences offered when comedians used to make fun of women or minorities. "Hey, it's just a bit of a joke, get over it". Except it only perpetuates ignorance. Okay, that's computing ignorance in this case.

    But I have found OS X (10.5) vastly easier to navigate and to use than XP. And yes, I know my way around XP. I was a regular reader of Fred's Langalist, amongst other newsletters. I always thought Fred had a little beef with Mac, being one of the few voices in the computing newsletter land who seemed keen to say that Mac was no better than XP (for a contrast, try Scot Fennie who tried a Mac for a period and ended up switching).

    With Mac, things are generally simpler and more straight-forward. We all struggle when confronted by a different OS and that was the original poster's problem. The info is there--you have to know where to look.

    XP (and Vista) have their strengths, though mostly this is borne of the wider use of Windows, and hence greater driver and software support.

    I used to think the Mac lovers were annoying too...until I found out they are right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So one of my sons, while in "rebellious" mode earlier this year, got a mac laptop, raved about it for a while, got quiet for a while, then after a few months, got an HP laptop.

    He never said much more about the mac except he would love to sell it but can't find a buyer for any reasonable price. So rick o...

    Like Fawn Marotz said, "Whatever floats your boat."

    Occasionally I work on client macs...when they have trouble with them. No panacea there in macland; lot of rebel energy which is humorous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey creees, no disagreement that it's whatever floats your boat. Macs break too, some users can break anything. :)

    And Windows has it's strengths, does some things better than Mac OS X. But unless you have specific software needs, or driver needs (ie, software or hardware that the makers of said item haven't bothered to support/provide for Mac OS X), I really think that Mac OS X is superior overall, especially now with Fusion/Parallels for when you just have to have Windows. Most importantly, I think it's just harder to break stupid little things on Mac OS X. Simple example, make a shortcut with Windows, then move the target. Uh oh! Try the same thing with a Mac, no problemo. That's the kind of nuisance that trips up those less experienced with PCs and also irked the hell out of me, far from a newbie. If I wanted to move a folder, and had shortcuts in my start menu, I had to go through those and tell them to find the target (or quicker, just edit and paste it in to their properties).

    Don't know why your son tired of his Mac, but I suspect it had something to do with specific needs. A few years back, I'd have said (and did say) I'd never switch. But as I watched and talked and read, it became clearer to me that Windows wasn't improving like it should and Mac was slicker. Once Fusion/Parallels came out to allow me to run specific stuff not available on the Mac (the biggest problem with Mac) I was liberated. One month in, and even though I'm still on the learning curve and having to find new ways of doing things, I don't miss Windows. In fact, for about a week, I had to work with Windows after switching and couldn't wait to get out.

    But I agree, that's just me. ;)

    ReplyDelete