Thursday, November 12, 2009

Wanted: a free, novice-proof disk wiper

Wiping the data off old drives is a smart thing to do, but secure erasing also must be easy to do.

For example, a reader wrote:
"I do some work for an organization that often processes computers before distributing them to charities, for example. We always wipe the hard drives using a Department of Defense (DoD) wipe. We've been using a bootable floppy disk to perform the wipes, but fewer computers than ever have floppy drives, and for reasons I won't discuss, we won't use a USB floppy drive to start the process.

"Do you know of any free disk wipers that can be written on a bootable CD and that can accomplish a secure disk wipe? I've found only one, Darik's Boot and Nuke, from DBAN [more info]. But it's confusing to nontechies, and clumsy even for techies. We could use something simpler."
It's a really, really good idea to data-wipe old drives. Discarded and recycled PCs are a rich vein for identity thieves to tap.

But this reader is dealing with two separate issues: he needs a tool that's easier to use than the one he currently has *and* one that can run on a bootable CD. I have a solution, but it takes a minute to explain, and that's the meat of the main topic in my column for WindowsSecrets.Com this week.

Other topics include:
  • What, exactly, are Windows 7's Libraries?
  • Windows Genuine Advantage: a necessary evil?
  • Config.Msi folder grows truly huge
Access to my column is by honor-system: You pay only what you think the content is worth (there's no set fee).

Want to have a question answered in that column? Use the "contact" info at the end of the column to send in questions you might like me to try answering. And you can also rate the content to let me know how I'm doing.

You start by signing up for the free version, and then upgrade to gain access to the honor-system/paid content that includes my column, along with others. More info: https://windowssecrets.com/

Your support there helps me keep the lights lit here. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment