About Me

My photo

Tech journalist since the dark ages. Windows Secrets, LangaList newsletter, Windows Magazine (NetGuide, Home PC), Byte, Popular Computing, yadda yadda yadda. Google me, if it matters.

This feed is mostly personal interest; it's NOT my professional writing. There's tech here, yes, but also lots of general science and some politics and weird humor thrown in.

Monday, December 8, 2014

Read the comments for Samsung's $40,000 85" 4K-Utra 3D HD TV

Yes,a $40,000 TV, available on Amazon.

Some of the comments are wonderful.Examples:


  • Just cashed in the kids' college funds and dropped them off at the Army recruiting station. I got the TV, they got a career. I think it worked out well for everyone.
  • Take my advice and shop around, people. I bought a twelve-pack of these at Costco and saved a hundred grand.
  • I was going to fund my daughters wedding in Hawaii, but I figured this Samsung TV would last much longer.
  • I am coming back from the future to write this review, and to let everyone know you can buy this TV for $699 in 2015. It still looks great though.
  • This is the best TV out there for watching documentaries about starving children. You can really feel their pain.


The Q&A's not bad, either. Examples:
Q: Is it free shipping to Ireland?
A: Unfortunately, they have discovered that it is actually cheaper to ship Ireland to the television. 
Q: Will the Amazon drone deliver this?
A: Actually, I believe that Optimus Prime will deliver it for you and have Bumblebee set it up for you... 
Q:This more than I make in a year. How the heck can anyone afford this much for a TV?
A: Obviously, a new job is in order for you. Have you considered a career in sales of recreational pharmaceuticals?

Samsung UN85S9 Framed 85-Inch (216cm) 4K Ultra HD 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV: Electronics