Monday, May 5, 2008

woodland trail in morning

I'm still gearing up for the Tornado Chase trip next week, but wanted to share a few photos of a gorgeous New Hampshire Spring morning with you.

Spring is a little late this year because of last Winter's record snowfall, which broke 100-year records and almost topped the all-time snowfall record for the State.

But, at last, the snows are gone, the ice has melted, and life is very quickly returning to the forests, so fast you can easily see changes even from one day to the next.

This trail meanders through a State Park behind my house. It's a great 4-season walk; snowshoes in the winter, and hiking boots the rest of the year.
(Larger versions of the photos are available, free, here: http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd54/flanga_bucket/20080505_nwm/ )

It was a beautiful, sunny, clear morning today.

There are several small streams running through the park, feeding a modest lake.

New growth is everywhere, and the first floor is covered with these small plants, just on the verge of flowering.
The ferns are unfolding:
Even the mosses are getting into the act.
The ponds are still cold, the aquatic plant life still submerged but growing towards the air.
Although the water's cold, the sun is gloriously warm.

And these guys sure know how to take advantage of the solar warmth. I just may mimic them later today, when the sun swings around and bathes my home's deck in warmth.



Photobucket


On a totally unrelated note, I just got a gorgeous, low-cost 22" LCD monitor from a company I never normally associate with high-tech; and also discovered a totally bogus piece of software you should stay far, far away from. I'll tell you about those items in an upcoming post!

8 comments:

  1. Hey Fred:

    It's always a pleasure to see a note in my feed reeder that you have a new post.

    Loved the photos behind new home. I can see why you moved.

    Oh, and great bait there:

    "discovered a totally bogus piece of software you should stay far, far away from. I'll tell you about those items[later]"

    LOL! I wanna know now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Fred!

    I love your pictures and I hope you don't mind that I have put one of them as my wallpaper.

    On the other handa I guess you will always have a keen eye for technology.

    Best regards,

    CarlosPC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos. Wondering what camera you used on those shots.

    I grew up in Kansas and my mother's name is Dorothy. Don't end up in Oz land.

    Gibby

    ReplyDelete
  4. >>Wondering what camera you used on those shots.

    The camera I'm using now is a Fuji Finepix S700, a 7.1mpx camera with 10 optical zoom (no optical degradation at all) and 4.8 digital zoom for a total available zoom of 48x. It has many operating modes, including a variety of useful presets that can get you to very high quality under a variety of conditions. It also does 640x480, 30 frame per second color video. The turret is fixed (no external moving parts) and the whole camera is lightweight and reasonably compact. I like it a lot.

    I took almost 6000 photos last summer on my cross-country trip. There's a fuller discussion of the cameras and image-editing software I used on this page http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310834&page=15 in items #214 and #225.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just ordered the fuji s8000fd with 18x optical zoom. I almost got what you have and then I saw the S8000Fd. I use a free program for editing,etc called irfanview. It is a very good program and it is freeware.

    Now I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of those twisters Fred.

    Stay safe,
    Gibby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yow, that S8000Fd looks very nice. I bet you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fred:

    Great Blog. Could you please let me know what what the make and model of the 22" LCD you picked up?

    Thanks,
    Erich

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Fred
    Nice backyard there bloke.
    I'll send you a private email with the address of my other blog with quite a few photos floating around in the archives. We've been lucky enough to be able to live away from civilization for a while at times and when ever I see pics like yours posted somewhere, I appreciate that quiet again.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete